A few months ago I drastically changed how the urls on my site were built. I moved to using the ASP.NET 2.0 virtual path provider to make more friendly urls. Because I changed the "directory" structure, havoc was wreaked upon my unsuspecting relative urls. I had to go through my posts and look for bad links. I figured I might had missed some.
Some of my very nice readers pointed out some issues in my rss feed. I've worked through some of those issues.
Now all urls for viewing posts, viewing them by category, and viewing them in the archives, is complete. All courtesy of the VirtualPathProvider...woot!
I continue to get a sporadic spray of comment spam, usually for pharmaceutical sites it seems. I'm still manually reviewing them all (so that doesn't take much time), but it obviously working. No more comment span.
I started getting my first comment spam. I think the total is up to 8 spams thus far. On the one hand, this does make me feel a little cool. I am apparenly worth blog spamming. On the other hand, I hate it when people do that.
So, I am now approving/deleting all comments before they appear. It is a useful feature that I've been needing to add to my Pylus project. If you make a comment, you won't see it until I approve it. But that shouldn't take long. And yes, comments can continue to be anonymous.
The commenting capabilities of the site have been functional, but not very nice. Html comments were not allowed, as one of you noticed, and the text entry was obviously basic.
I have now spiffied it up. You will notice that you now have the write comments that are very html-ish. Feel free to do so. The text entry control is called tinymce, and it is distributed under the GPL. It is very easy to setup for use on your blog/website. So far I am happy with it. Check it out.
I added a couple new pages to the site. At the advice of a friend I am now keeping a running list of everything I read. It can be found here.
Also, a credits page for the images and code I use on the site that do not originate from my own work. It can be found here.
I also added a link to my aStore. I like the idea of the aStore, but navigation is horrible. Not sure what I can do about that other than write my own :)
Posts can now be viewed by topic. It's all broken down for you on the left side. You can also see posts by month and year.
If you happened to show up today during the short window where the upgrade was happening...I'm sorry :)
The project is named after a rather unpopular low-google-ranked city in Greece. It can be found in the southern region of Greece called the Peloponnesus. It is on the sea in the southwest corner of that in a region called Messenia.
Ancient Pylus has nothing to do with software. I just like picking code names for my projects based on ancient Greek towns that have a low google rating. I hereby claim this idea. If anyone else does it, I will definitely start calling you some nasty names...
Anyway, Pylus OSPP is the "Pylus Online Self-Publication Platform." Sounds fancy, doesn't it? More simply put, I'm building something that allows me to easy blog, post reviews and articles, and upload pictures. Yes, I know...there is software out there that already does that. True. It's just more fun to write it. This was actually my first decent size ASP.NET 2.0 project, so I needed something to work on anyway to learn some of the fancy new features.
"OS" does not stand for "open source", though it is my current plan to do that at some point. I'm building it in such a way that it should be easily themable, skinnable, and extendable (at least I'm trying). When it gets a little more mature, I'll probably release it into the world.
In theory, none of the old links to posts should be broken because of the change. .NET makes url rewriting easy, which made it simple to just map the old links to the new site. You shouldn't even have to change the link in your rss readers as I redirected all that as well, though you may certainly do so.
So now you know.